Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Friendship

Over the past few years I have had such a change in my closest friends. After I graduated I was still really close to my 2 best friends from high school and then my other best friend who I worked with. After getting married, we all slowly started to drift away from each other. One friend moved away to college and become the party girl she swore she would never become. One became extremely focused in college. The other married a marine, became a bartender, got divorced, and now just likes to work at the bar. They are all different than I had thought they would be. I have nothing in common with any of them. We all do talk on an occasion basis but we arent close any more at all. If I do hang out with them, I don't think that Aaron likes it because of how they act.

I love being a mom, but lately I have wanted some ME time. I have become so focused on taking care of Landon and being a good wife that I have started to loose myself in the process.

Yesterday I had a really fun craft time with a girl who I was best friends with in elementary school-the early part of high school. During high school, she was the one that was my best friend when I was going through tough times When my mom had cancer and when my grandmother died, she was always there to help me cope. The latter years of high school she and I didn't speak much at all. But now we are becoming friends again, which I am really happy about. She is pregnant with a baby girl due in April and married. I have so much in common with her. I am glad I have her to hang out with again.

Then last night Aaron and I went out to eat with a really fun couple from church. She is one of my only few friends at church. I hate it when she isn't there because then I don't really have anybody to talk to. I am glad that we have finally found another couple that are fun to hang out with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've reestablished contact with that old friend!! I totally identify with all that....except for the being a mom thing. I don't even get THAT excuse...I'm just bad at maintaining friendships. Period. And it doesn't really help that I suck at being friends with girls, which leaves me only guys. Which wouldn't be problem if guys weren't...you know how they are =} hahahaha

Good luck navigating the Mommy Friendship Land!

Maren said...

Laurie~
It is so easy to lose yourself once you have a baby and also a husband. I think I was able to finally find myself when I went back to work and had "me" time. Even though I am working its just for me! I love it!!! I know how you feel about losing yourself in it all. It's hard and not easy to get out of! I am so glad to have you as a friend and know that you will always be there!!! Hope all is well and we need to do a game night!!!!! I LOVE games!!!! haha

Rondi said...

No matter what your age, you will always crave "me time". People ask me how I like the empty nest syndrome--there is no such thing. Always something going on and I don't get much "me time". Try to plan a girls' night out once a month. I think Aaron would totally understand. And, hey, your mom and I could use a girls night out, too.